Korean Style Fried Tofu with Chili Garlic Soy Sauce. Pan fried tofu in garlic soy sesame sauce is an easy and delicious Korean tofu side dish. It's so flavourful that even non-vegetarians would appreciate the taste! Today I'm going to share an easy peasy Korean side dish recipe using Tofu (Dubu, 두부).
It's funny how tofu gets associated only with vegetarian/healthy foods on the mainland. Korean Style Fried Tofu with Chili Garlic Soy Sauce The best way to get a meateater who's never tried tofu to hate it is to serve it as a meat substitute. Because there is no way a brick of soybean curd is ever going to take the place of a juicy steak, or a meaty pork chop, or even a piece of chicken breast. You can cook Korean Style Fried Tofu with Chili Garlic Soy Sauce using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Korean Style Fried Tofu with Chili Garlic Soy Sauce
- You need of For the tofu:.
- It’s 1 of (One) pound package firm tofu.
- You need of salt for seasoning.
- It’s 2 Tablespoons of neutral flavored oil for frying.
- Prepare of For the soy sauce:.
- It’s 1/4 cup of soy sauce.
- You need 1.5-2 Tablespoons of sugar.
- It’s 1.5-2 Tablespoons of vinegar.
- You need 1 clove of garlic, crushed.
- You need of sliced fresh chilies to taste (jalapenos, serranos, or Thai chilies are good for this dish).
- You need 1 Tablespoon of sliced or chopped bulb onion.
- Prepare to taste of crushed red chili flakes.
- Prepare 1 of green onion, chopped for garnish.
- Prepare of optional: toasted sesame seeds for garnish.
Transfer the tofu to a serving platter or plates. Roasted sesame seeds for sprinkling on the fried tofu (optional). Preparation Combine soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, Korean chili flakes if using, red chili flakes, green onions and ground sesame seeds in a small bowl. When the above ingredients are almost charred, add water, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and peppercorns.
Korean Style Fried Tofu with Chili Garlic Soy Sauce step by step
- Slice the tofu into roughly 1/2" thick slices widthwise. Pat dry with a paper or cloth towel on both sides and season lightly with salt..
- While the tofu is air-drying a bit, make the sauce by combining all sauce ingredients and stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Start at the low end of the measurements and adjust upward if needed. Some folks like things sweeter and/or tangier than others..
- In a non-stick or well seasoned fry pan, heat the oil to medium high, and fry the tofu, about 3 minutes per side, until it's light golden brown. If you like a slightly thicker, browner crust, turn the heat down to medium and go 5 to 7 minutes per side..
- Plate the tofu, spoon the sauce over it, sprinkle some chopped green onions on top, and enjoy. :).
How to Make Spicy Korean Tofu. First, cut the tofu into rectangle shape and prepare the sauce by mixing soy sauce, sugar, Korean chili peppers and other sauce ingredients together. Next, pan fry the tofu until they turn brown on both sides. Add the sauce and braise the tofu. This recipe is so easy and healthy!