Spicy Butternut Squash Fries. Oven-baked butternut squash fries are absolutely delicious, just as they are. Okay, even more so when coated in Chinese five-spice blend as they are here. Chinese five-spice is a blend of warming spices such as anise, star anise, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger, or sometimes cinnamon, Sichuan peppercorns, or even fennel.
So here are a few tips for handling that. First, it is important to blot out as much moisture as possible before cooking. Blot any moisture from the butternut squash fries with kitchen roll and place on the prepared baking tray. You can cook Spicy Butternut Squash Fries using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spicy Butternut Squash Fries
- You need 1 each of butternut squash.
- Prepare 1 of vegetable oil, for deep frying.
- It’s 3 tbsp of chili powder.
- You need 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of onion powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
Sprinkle with salt, black pepper and Cajun seasoning. Use a sharp knife to carefully cut away the peel from the squash. Cut the squash into sticks like French fries. Arrange squash pieces on a baking sheet and season with salt.
Spicy Butternut Squash Fries instructions
- Cut squash above ball bottom and save for other things . I just use the top part. Cut top and Peel down sides..
- Cut into slices, then into fries..
- Heat oil til oil bubbles when a fry is hold into oil. Adjust heat to keep oil hot..
- Fry til golden brown. Drain on paper towels..
- Meanwhile, mix seasonings together & sprinkle on finished fries..
Pour the buttermilk into a medium bowl. In a large bowl, toss butternut squash with oil. Arrange fries on baking sheets, making sure that none are overlapping. Spicy Butternut Squash Curly Fries Tips and Variations: Instead of butternut squash, make these spicy curly fries with carrots, turnips, rutabaga, daikon radish, celery root or jicama (or do a combination of different vegetables for a colourful, pretty curly fry plate!) You can drizzle some olive oil on top before baking if you like. Chipotle squash fries baked crisp with a touch of sweet n spicy!